The RDI Network, CBM Australia, Nossal Institute for Global Health and Pacific Disability Forum (PDF) have collaborated to bring forth a disability-inclusive research guidance, Research for All: Making Research Inclusive of People with Disabilities.
Launched in June, the RDI Network and ACFID now bring you an in-depth online workshop. This online event is the second of three in this series.
Ethical processes and considerations in disability-inclusive research
Discussing the ethical considerations for designing inclusive research questions and methods, including when working with children with disabilities. This involves enabling and obtaining informed consent. Whilst it is not possible for this guide to cover all scenarios, potential examples are highlighted. Key processes and considerations described include:
- Gaining ethics approvals to work with people with disabilities.
- Providing information about the research process, research tools, and research reports, in ways and in formats that are accessible to people with different types of impairments.
- Enabling ‘informed consent’ by providing potential participants with necessary and accessible information. This includes facilitating genuine and informed decisions about how they want to participate in the research.
- Ensuring the right to privacy for participants and confidentiality of information.
- Providing appropriate support structures to manage the potential effects of involvement for people with disabilities and other members of the research team (e.g. providing feedback, debrief and complaint pathways that are realistic, safe, and accessible).
- Lana Logam, Co-author of Research for All and Technical Advisor, Nossal Institute of Global Health
- Marc Purcell, CEO, ACFID
- Dr Manjella Marella, Disability Research Fellow, Nossal Institute of Global Health
To make the most of the online event, participants are encouraged to read Section Two of the Research for All: Making Research Inclusive of People with Disabilities prior to attending the workshop, and participate in discussion using breakout rooms.
Part of the workshop will be recorded and the recording will be uploaded to ACFID's YouTube channel with subtitles. A transcript will also be provided upon request following the event.
Please register on time to ensure that we can accommodate your accessibility needs.
How to register:
- Use the 'Sign in' box on the right-hand side of this page to log-in or create a new account.
- Select 'Register Myself' or 'Register Someone Else'.
- Answer a question about accessibility needs, and save your response.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click 'Proceed to Checkout'
- On checkout, scroll to the bottom of the page and click 'Submit Order'
- Check your inbox for a confirmation email sent from firstname.lastname@example.org (you may need to check your spam/ junk folders).
Instructions to attend the workshop:
Instructions/ link to join the workshop will be emailed the day before the event.
Any issues? Email email@example.com.